At the Oil Ranch, there are plenty of critters to interact with. But how much do you really know about them? Before your next visit to the Oil Ranch, check out these fun facts about our animals.
We have plenty of cattle at the Oil Ranch. For an up close and personal experience with them, take the hayride out to our pasture.
- Cows almost have a 360 degree vision, but have difficulty seeing directly in front of them. Try to avoid walking up to them head-on so they can see you better
- Cows spend approximately 10 hours of their day laying down and chewing their cud
Children love our pony rides! Kids ages 12 and under enjoy riding our ponies as our arena assistants guide them around the pen.
- Horses have the largest eyes of any land mammal
- Horses use their eyes, ears and nostrils to express their mood. They are also known for showing emotion through facial expressions
Our goats can be found in the petting zoo. Don’t forget to visit the Hay Barn to see if we have any baby goats, called kids, for your children to interact with.
- Goat’s milk is the most popular type of milk drunk by humans worldwide
- Goats are known for their agility and balance. They love to climb on things
Did you know the Oil Ranch has fish? Lake Buenas Noches is stocked with bass and catfish for catch and release fishing.
- Fish are covered in a layer of scales, often covered by a layer of slime, that helps them swim through the water
- Fish have taste buds all over their body. This means fish can taste without opening their mouths
Ready to meet our animals in person? Check out our calendar to see our hours!